After hours of testing more than a dozen indoor bike stands, we found the Wahoo Kickr Smart Trainer to have the best combination of options, durability, and affordability.
As an avid biker, I can get depressed if I don’t get to go out on my daily ride. Luckily, there are plenty of options out there that let me ride my bike indoors without having to buy a stationary bike.
Indoor bike stand technology has quickly evolved from simple rollers to advanced “smart” tech that tracks every aspect of your workout. There’s a wide range of affordable and professional-grade stands available for bikers of all levels. From mountain bike stands for indoor riding to DIY bike stands for indoor riding, options are available.
No matter what type of bike or training you’re looking for, the Wahoo Kickr Smart Trainer applies to almost every single need you have and fulfills it with ease. However, we know there may be more specialized people and objectives, which may have other options that suit them better.
Which one is right for you? From the direct drive to smart tech, there are plenty of options to choose from. Whether you are looking to improve your sprint speed or are training for a cross-country bike ride, one of the bike stands below will help you achieve your goals.
If you want to discover which bike stand is the best for your needs, keep reading our selections for the 12 best bike stands for indoor riding.
Table of Contents
The 12 Best Bike Stands for Indoor Training
Ready to invest in a bike stand but aren’t sure where to start? Here’s our list of the best bike stands available in 2021 for indoor training.
Wahoo Kickr Smart Trainer – Best Bike Stand for Indoor Riding
Installing your bike is a breeze. Once set up, the Kickr Smart Trainer calibrates itself as well. You’ll be riding within minutes.
The direct drive system is smooth, silent and can automatically adjust resistance via your favorite biking apps on your phone or bike computer. We loved that you could simulate past rides and try to beat your best times while riding in the comfort of your home. Its one of the best indoor bike trainers.
The interactivity of this bike gives you total control of your ride and a wealth of stats about your rides. From pros to beginners, all the data can be used to reduce fatigue while riding, improve your performance, and provide a perfectly tuned ride.
- Professional grade build and durability will last for years.
- Adjustable to most wheel sizes including 24”, 650c, 700c, 26”, 27.5”, and 29”
- The three simultaneous Bluetooth connections are compatible with most bike computers and biking apps.
- The Included 11 Speed cassette makes setup quick and easy.
- This stand does weigh 47 pounds and can be difficult to store easily.
Blackburn Tech Mag Bike Trainer – Best Overall Budget Bike Stand
This stand from Blackburn is simple to set up and easy to use. It’s also incredibly affordable, well-built, and will give you countless hours of indoor workouts.
Ample resistance is provided through the magnetic friction system. While there is no Bluetooth connectivity, you can still enjoy varied rides by using the remote to alter resistance and simulate riding inclines.
If you are looking for a budget-friendly indoor bike stand that is easy to set up, this one’s for you.
Its also one of the best indoor bike trainers on amazon.
- The 5-position remote allows you to change the resistance level of the ride.
- Blackburn has designed one of the quietest friction-based indoor stands.
- You can fold this bike stand flat when you are ready to store it.
- Compatible with most standard bike-size tires.
Garmin TacX Neo 2T Smart Trainer – Best Outdoor Immersive Riding Option
If data is important, you’ll want a bike stand that offers excellent sensors and connectivity. The Garmin TacX Smart Trainer has the best combination of high-tech, smart features of any bike stand.
This direct drive trainer is extremely well built. Inside, you’ll find a near-silent motor and a durable frame that provides a comfortable ride that is close to an outdoor experience. Dynamic inertia controls compensate for rider weight, speed, and inclination during the ride giving the rider an immersive cycling experience.
Ready to ride? You can experience up to 25% gradient incline, high brake force, and experience explosive sprints while using the Garmin TacX.
Of course, this stand offers amazing sensors that will measure your cadence, power, and speed with 1% accuracy. Data from the stand is also easily transferable through ANT+ and Bluetooth to your favorite bike computer or biking app.
- The included TacX software lets you simulate 100 real-life biking experiences.
- Compatible with most standard bike tire sizes and chainrings up to 3 sprockets.
- The best option for professional riders looking for an in-depth analysis of their rides.
Rockbros Bike Roller Stand – Best Overall Bike Roller Stand
Roller stands are a good idea for riders looking to improve their stability and balance while riding. They’re also incredibly easy to set up since you don’t need to take your bike apart to ride. You simply place the bike on the stand and go.
This roller stand from Rockbros has the best combination of usability, durability, and price. The stand is constructed with high-strength aluminum that looks great and held up well during testing. The sealed bearings also give this stand an incredibly smooth ride.
If you’re short on space in your home, this stand is foldable and can be stored in any small closet or even under your bed.
- Parabolic rollers give you a safe and stable ride.
- The stand is lightweight and foldable making it simple to store.
- Roller stands can wear down both your front and rear tire during use.
- No Bluetooth connectivity or data analysis tools are included with this stand.
Wahoo Kickr Snap Bike Trainer – Best Entry-Level Smart Trainer
Do you need the best data analysis for your rides but can afford a high-end direct drive bike stand? Wahoo has you covered. The Kickr Snap Bike Trainer lets you connect your bike in seconds and get detailed ride data and statistics for your workouts.
This full-featured stand gives you total control of your ride. Detailed information about your cadence, power, and incline are instantly transferred to your favorite bike computer or app through Bluetooth and ANT+ connectivity.
You’ll also get an amazing workout on this bike stand. Test yourself on +20% inclines and 10% while on your ride. When connected with apps like SYSTM and Zwift you can simulate your favorite past outdoor rides as well.
- The optimized flywheel is incredibly quiet and gives a smooth ride for hours.
- Resistance can be controlled through your favorite app or software.
- You can accurately measure your power to +/- 3%.
- Quick-release axle compatibility means you can easily set up the stand and ride.
- The carbon steel frame is durable and gives you a stable ride.
Saris Fluid Resistance Indoor Bike Trainer – Best Fluid Resistance Trainer
Fluid trainers generally offer a quiet, road-like experience while biking indoors. This indoor bike stand from Saris is one of the best we tested for this experience. Quiet and smooth, this indoor bike stand is ideal for riders who work out early in the morning and don’t want to bother their families.
During testing we found this trainer to create noise levels between 60 and 70 decibels. This is equivalent to a normal conversation between two people.
We also liked the ease of installation and connectivity of this affordable trainer. You can simply place your rear tire into the quick release and connect your favorite app to start your ride.
- The fluid resistance gives an incredibly smooth and quiet ride.
- Easy to fold frame makes the stand easy to store and set up.
- Resistance can be changed so you can experience tough inclines or long smooth roads.
- Bluetooth connectivity to your favorite apps gives you detailed ride information and analysis.
- Compatible with 650b, 700c, 27.5” (up to 2” wide), and 29” (without tread) bike tires.
Saris Aluminum Roller – Best High-End Roller Indoor Bike Trainer
Rollers give an amazing workout and will greatly improve your riding balance. Saris has a high-end roller system that is one of the best on the market. This roller stand will have you ready for your next on or off-road race in no time.
This stand is incredibly well built and designed. We were impressed with how quiet the aluminum rollers were even during intense sprints. We also felt confident and secure on the stand during high speeds.
Rollers give an amazing workout and if you are looking for one of the best ways to get ready for a race or to improve your biking skills, this indoor bike stand from Saris is a great option.
- Magnetic resistance rollers provide a quiet and frictionless ride.
- The aluminum rollers and steel frame are well-designed and durable.
- Compatible with 600c to 700c and 26” to 29” wheels.
- The 16” wide wheelbase gives the stand plenty of room for any on- or off-road bike style.
Elite Direto XR – Best Bike Stand for Steep Inclines
If you enjoy pushing yourselves on steep inclines, you need a stand that offers steep adjustments. The Direto XR from Elite features a staggering 24% incline that will force you to push yourself harder than ever before.
This trainer features a wide range of interactivity options that keeps you connected and in control of your workout data. You’ll find this stand is compatible with almost every biking app and computer including MyTraining, Zwift, and Road Grand Tour. Direto XR also includes a 12-month free subscription for their own app.
The Direto is ideal for experts who want to experience tough training. Once connected to your favorite software, you can simulate steep inclines, sprints, and deep descents on this premium bike stand.
- Compatible with most gravel and road bikes.
- 11-Speed plug and play cassette makes this stand easy to set up and take down.
- This stand provides an incredibly stable, smooth, and quiet ride.
- The include Optical Torque Sensor gives amazing power accuracy to +/- 1.5%
- Track your cadence, speed, and power with your favorite biking and fitness apps.
Wahoo Kickr Bike – Best Stationary Bike Stand for Indoor Riding
Stationary bikes are an option for bikers as well. Wahoo has designed the ultimate stationary bike that will simulate your most intense outdoor rides.
While this bike is much more expensive than the other options on this list, you won’t have to disassemble your high-end bike to use it. It also offers extensive adjustment options that can accurately simulate the size and design of any high-end bicycle.
Kickr has perfected a realistic ride feel through their smartphone-connected resistance systems. You can also simulate outdoor roads with ascents up to 20% and descents as steep as 15%.
You can easily set this stationary bike to match your bike’s dimensions as well. There are 5 points of adjustment including stack, reach, setback, saddle height, and frame height.
- Programmable gearing, virtual braking, and an adjustable crank arm can simulate your road bike.
- You’ll experience +/- 1% power accuracy with zero calibration and setup.
- Measure speed, distance, power, and cadence with your favorite apps and bike computers.
- You can manually control grades and inclines on the bike without an app as well.
Kinetic Rock and Roll Smart 2 Bike Trainer – Best Fluid Smart Trainer
Fluid trainers offer a smooth and quiet ride. They’re also much more affordable than their direct drive counterparts. Unfortunately, many don’t offer connectivity options. Kinetic solves this problem with the Rock and Roll trainer. If you are looking for a road bike stand for indoor riding that is smart and affordable, this is your best bet.
This fluid-resistance bike trainer features inRide 3-power sensor technology that connects to your favorite biking apps including Kinetic Fit, Zwift, TrainerRoad, and Rouvy. Connection is provided through ANT+ and Bluetooth technologies ensuring your data is safe and accurate.
- Compatible with road and mountain bikes with 22-inch to 29-inch wheels.
- The frame is incredibly durable and gives a nice, smooth ride.
- Fluid resistance on this stand simulates road riding perfectly.
Saris H3 Bike Trainer – Most Stable Bike Stand Trainer
Stability and durability should be at the top of your feature list if you are a larger rider or push your biker harder than the average rider. Weighing in at 47 pounds, this stand is heavy and gives a stable ride for riders up to 300 pounds.
If you push your bike to the limit, you’ll be happy to know that this trainer can handle up to 2000w of power and a decent 20%. This means the Saris can handle the toughest sprints or your steepest inclines.
Connectivity is provided through ANT+ and Bluetooth that lets you connect to your favorite apps and bike computers. Unfortunately, this bike stand doesn’t offer too many options if you don’t plan to use it with a smartphone or computer.
- Fits most road and mountain bikes.
- An extremely quiet drivetrain won’t wake up your family during early morning workouts.
- Quick-release, thru-axle supports 142mm or 148mm cassettes.
- Extremely accurate sensors give you +/- 2% accuracy on power measurements.
- Easy to set up and install, this foldable bike stand trainer can be stored in small locations.
- Wide bikes and large tires will fit comfortably on this bike stand.
- One of the best mountain bikes stands for indoor riding.
Puluomis Bike Trainer Stand – Affordable Magnetic Trainer
Training on a budget doesn’t mean you have to skip features and comfort. Puluomis has designed this bike stand to help you train on a budget.
This magnetic-friction-based bike stand is quick and easy to set up. Installing your bike takes minutes.
The stand is also well built and designed. We found the steel construction to be sturdy and the magnetic trainer to offer a quiet and smooth ride.
- Eight resistance settings let you work out at different intensity levels.
- The wide stance of the stand fits 26” – 29” wheel and rear axles between 4.8” and 7.5”
- You can easily fold the stand-up and store it in tight locations.
- The quick-release levers allow you to set up this stand in seconds.
- No Bluetooth connectivity or native app connection.
Buying Guide for the Best Bike Stand for Indoor Training
Not every bike stand is created equal. There are many different bike stands for indoor training, from simple roller stands to advanced bike stands that track your power and cadence. Below are some things you should consider before investing in a new indoor bike training stand.
Difference Between an Indoor Trainer and a Stationary Bike
An indoor trainer is a device that attaches to your bicycle. They offer a realistic ride that is comparable to your experience outdoors while riding your bike.
A stationary bike is a bike that can be large and requires space in your home. They are difficult to adjust to match your size and riding style. They are easy to set up and don’t require you to remove the wheel of your daily rider to enjoy a workout.
Types of Indoor Bike Trainers
Most indoor bike training stands use one of these 4 different mechanisms to simulate biking.
- Magnetic trainers are usually inexpensive, require manual resistance changes, and offer few smart features.
- Fluid trainers are affordable and offer a progressive resistance curve that makes it harder to ride the faster you go. They also offer many smart features to track your workouts.
- Direct drive trainers remove your rear wheel and use their drivetrain. These are the most expensive and accurate indoor bike trainers. They also offer the most interactive and smart features.
- Rollers are an affordable option. You place your bike on the rollers and ride. This gives an accurate biking experience but it can be difficult to maintain balance on the rollers
Smart Trainer Technology and App Compatibility
Just like everything else in your home, many bike trainers offer a wide range of smart training and connectivity options for you. Once connected, your bike trainer will record any vital information with your favorite biking apps. You’ll have no problems tracking power, cadence, elevation, and more with a smart trainer.
Apps like Skuga and Road Grand Tour even let you recreate real bike rides you’ve completed in Strava. This allows you to practice your favorite rides all winter long or during any harsh weather conditions.
If you already own a bike computer or smartwatch, you’ll want to verify that the bike stand you are interested in is compatible with your accessories. You should look for a stand that offers ANT+ and Bluetooth connectivity to make connecting your components easy.
Bike Compatibility and Type
Not every bike is compatible with every type of indoor bike stand. While you should have no problem installing your road bike, some indoor bike trainers may not be compatible with mountain bikes, fat bikes, single-speed bikes, E-bikes, or cyclocross bikes.
You should always compare your bike’s measurements with the specifications of any indoor bike trainer before purchasing.
Body Type and Athletic Ability
You should also take your body type and athletic ability into consideration when choosing a bike stand.
Direct drive stands offer the most durability and stability for amateur or larger riders. Using a roller bike stand takes balance and coordination. While they are relatively inexpensive, you should only attempt to use a roller if you are an experienced cyclist.
Many indoor bike training stands are surprisingly noisy. If you plan on working while the rest of your family sleeps, you should consider investing in a bike stand that makes less noise. In general, direct-drive bike trainers are quieter compared to rollers and friction-based indoor bike trainers.
Intense rides can put plenty of stress on your bike and the bike stand. If you plan on riding fast or practicing extreme rides, you’ll need a stand that offers added stability.
A high-end, direct-drive bike stand is your best bet if you need more stability for your rides. Rollers offer the least stability. While they are less stable, using a roller stand is a good way to improve your balance while biking.
Bike Trainer Accessories
Many training accessories can make your stand for indoor bike riding more fun and enjoyable.
- You can place your bike in front of your TV and watch a training video that can simulate riding in world-famous locations.
- A front tire block will secure your front tire and will give you a more stable and safe ride.
- Bike mats can be placed under your bike to protect your floors from dirt, scuffs, and sweat.
- Using a trainer tire will save your expensive tires for outdoor use.
- Consider installing a trainer rear cassette to make installing your bike faster and easier.
- Don’t forget a fan, water bottle, and towel during the ride to keep you cool and comfortable.
Price and Affordability
One of the most important factors when buying a new bike trainer stand should be price. There are plenty of stands that fit into any sized budget. Not everyone needs a $1500 stand to have an amazing workout. We suggest finding a stand that meets your budget while providing the most important features to you.
What is the Best Bike Stand for Indoor Training?
Adding indoor training to your bike workouts is one of the best ways to stay in shape and ready for your next ride. A bike stand gives you a realistic ride that feels like riding your outdoor bike.
We found the Wahoo Kickr Smart Trainer provides the best features for the best price. This indoor bike stand is well built, gives you amazing analytics, and offers a smooth ride. You can’t go wrong choosing the Kickr Smart Trainer for your next indoor bike stand.
Leave procrastination for another time and go check if this stand is the right choice for you.