What’s the most comfortable bike seat for overweight people? This is a question that many of us have asked ourselves. If you are like me, then your search can be exhausting at times because it seems like there are so many options out there! I am here to share with you what has been my personal favorite after doing tons of research.
The most comfortable bike seat for overweight people in my opinion is the Bikeroo Oversized Comfort Bike Seat.
Most traditional bike seats available on the market today aren’t designed for bigger bottoms and overweight riders. This often leads to overweight cyclists suffering from discomfort, pain, and soreness or not using their bikes at all just because their seats are too narrow and small.
We researched and reviewed the best bike seats to come up with this list of the most comfortable bike seats for overweight riders. If you’re looking for the best bike seat for overweight riders, the Bikeroo Oversized Comfort Bike Seat is the best option for several reasons.
One reason is its high-quality memory foam padding that gives the ultimate comfort when you’re riding on rough, bumpy areas. It is also suitable for any bike type for both indoor and outdoor purposes.
However, several variables affect whether a bike seat is comfortable or not. For example, what’s most comfortable for female riders may not be the most comfortable for male riders. Some of the factors affecting the comfort are the cushion material and the saddle width.
We’ve reviewed many bike seats made explicitly for overweight cyclists in every category, and they are all wider than the traditional bike seats with extra padding to avoid any discomfort during long rides. We’ll also talk about the main features of the most comfortable bike seats for overweight riders. So, let’s get started.
Our Most Comfortable Bike Seats for Overweight Bike Riders
Take a look at our top ten most comfortable bike seats for overweight bike riders:
- Bikeroo Oversized Comfort Bike Seat (Best Overall)
- Selle Royal Moderate Bike Saddle – Women (Best for Women)
- Bikeroo Saddle for Men (Best for Men)
- Puroma Bicycle Saddle (Best for Seniors)
- INBIKE Most Comfortable Bicycle Seat (Best for Long Trips)
- DAWAY C66 Foam Padded Leather Road Mountain Bicycle Saddle (Best for Mountain Bike)
- IPOW Comfort Bike Seat for Women or Men (Best for Road Bike)
- Brooks B190 Saddle (Best for City Riding)
- Sunlite Cloud-9 (Best for Recreational Riding)
- Zacro Seat Cover (Best for Spinning and Indoor Cycling)
10 Most Comfortable Bike Seats for Overweight Bike Riders
Someone with a big bottom and weighing more than average can surely find value from the following bike seats.
Bikeroo Oversized Bike Seat is an excellent choice among heavy riders. It is one of the most comfortable bike seats because of its universal fit, which suits almost any overweight rider. One of its excellent features is the extra-thick padding with a tremendous shock-absorbing mechanism due to its firm elastomer and dual-spring suspensions.
What makes Bikeroo Oversized Comfort Bike Seat stand out is its seat size and extra soft cushioning. If you have a big bottom, consider getting this bike seat for a more comfortable ride.
- Its memory foam padding provides maximum comfort.
- It has a cutout at the center for better airflow.
- It is perfect for both indoor spinning and outdoor riding.
- The entire seat package includes an adaptor, mounting tools, a Bikeroo seat, and a weatherproof seat cover.
- The seat can be used on any bike type because it uses standard rails.
- The seat’s front shell underneath the padding is not of the best quality.
- It has a short front which can make some riders uncomfortable.
Bike seats specific for women became popular a few years ago because of their ability to provide optimum comfort. They are also very low-priced because of the surge in demand. However, when it comes to bike saddles for overweight women, the supply is somewhat scarce.
Now, worry no more because the Selle Royal Moderate Bike Saddle gives women much-needed comfort during their bike rides. The bike seat also has a cutout at the seat center for proper weight distribution and pressure relief where you need it.
Additionally, there is a better airflow due to the ventilation channel in front, moving cool air along the cutout. It also encourages upright bike riding. Not only it guarantees comfort to the rider, but it also has easy installation and is made of materials of excellent quality. The only turn-off of this bike seat is it’s not as lightweight compared to others. The 475-gram bike seat quickly adds up to the bike’s total weight.
- It provides much better comfort than other stock saddles.
- It has excellent ventilation in the center.
- It won’t interfere with hard pedal cranking.
- It is quite heavy at 475 grams.
- It is more expensive than other stock saddles.
If you are up for a long ride and looking for a bike seat that would give you the maximum comfort, then check out the Bikeroo Saddle for Men. Its excellent design provides amazing supports. If you don’t get the correct type of bike seat, it may result in many problems in men, ranging from back pain to erectile dysfunction.
That’s why Bikeroo Saddle for Men is created to help men riders with its ergonomically designed saddle, saving them from all issues such as back pain, chaffing, and even prostate-related concerns. Though this bike seat is made for men, it can also be used by women. The bike seat package already has a universal adapter, mounting tools, bike seat, and waterproof seat cover.
- The bike’s seat padding is soft and thick, which helps reduce seat bone pain.
- The saddle is wide enough for oversized men riders.
- It suits different bike types such as Hybrid, MTB, and stationary bikes.
- It offers a 60-day money-back guarantee.
- The material underneath the saddle is low grade.
- There is a tendency of sliding off when movements are aggressive.
Since there are already bike seats for men and women, there are also the perfect bike seats for senior bike riders. If you are looking for a saddle for a senior, then consider getting the Puroma Bicycle Saddle.
Senior riders ride more frequently and in high intensity. That’s why they need to look for a durable, supportive, and most especially, comfortable saddle for their safe bike rides. Thankfully, Puroma Bicycle Saddle meets all of these requirements for senior riders. The only downside of this bike seat is it’s not waterproof.
- The seat design is breathable and ergonomic.
- It has thick and comfortable padding.
- The durable bike seat has excellent shockproofing.
- It gives guaranteed safety for advanced riders.
- It is somewhat heavy.
If you are looking for a bike seat with extra seat width, look no further than the INBIKE Most Comfortable Bike Seat. It is among the most comfortable bike seats for overweight riders, and its design is purposely built for a big man. The seat’s material and its construction give overweight riders extra comfort, making butt pain inexistent.
The front design is narrower, which is mainly preferred by overweight riders due to lesser friction, especially during a leisure ride or in a competition. It uses artificial microfiber leather on the seat’s surface. Not only is it made for bigger men and women, but it’s also wear-resistant, scratch-resistant, and super smooth.
The high-density foam padding and the dual springs create an excellent buffer, making the seat shockproof and enjoyable during rides. And if you want to embark on long and adventurous rides, the central groove comes in handy, giving you better air ventilation. Overall, this seat is an excellent option for cruiser bike riders who love long-distance rides.
- The extra soft padding, narrow front, and dual springs make this seat very comfortable.
- The seat has an easy adjustment feature so you can identify the most comfortable position.
- The suspensions which are made of plastic may not be durable.
DAWAY C66 Bike Seat is one of the most comfortable bike seats for overweight riders. It is highly recommended for those who have mountain bikes and are a big fan of rough terrains such as forest passes.
The bike seat’s excellent shockproof system does a great job of protecting the spine while riding. Additionally, the bike seat has an ergonomic design and a breathable hollow. It’s suitable for both overweight men and women riders because the hole helps protect the private areas.
The seat also has a unique design for the thighs so you can freely move to avoid rubbing. The hollow reduces pressure and keeps your butt dry.
- The seat’s hollow design gives a dry, relaxed feeling and comfort.
- It has an ergonomic design for top performance.
- It comes with a great shockproof system.
- It is suitable for both overweight men and women riders.
- It is well-made and long-lasting.
- The package comes with complete accessories for easier installation.
- The seat’s padding is not very soft.
In a bike race, the rider needs to be at high intensity and speed. A good bike seat with enough padding thickness comes in handy during this time. It should also have an excellent shock-absorbing feature and a more breathable design. Good news – IPOW Comfort Bike Seat offers all these features to help protect the rider’s bones and enhance their performance, especially for overweight riders. It is among the most comfortable bike seats for overweight riders.
This seat’s features, including ventilation, shock absorption, waterproofing, and wear resistance, are enough for intermediate to advanced overweight riders to conduct their training. The package also comes with an installation tool, a rail clamp, and a red warning strip.
- The seat is very secure and comfortable.
- It is made of high-quality and long-lasting materials.
- It is very user-friendly and convenient.
- The design is supportive and ergonomic – perfect for bike racers.
- The reflective tape is of low quality.
If you are looking for a heavy-duty bike seat, then Brooks B190 Saddle may be for you. Not only is it among the most comfortable bike seats for overweight riders, but it also gives you the classic look of a bike seat with an original leather cover in vegetable tan.
Made in England, the newly shaped and durable saddle features a front loop spring and the back double coil springs. These features allow the bike to carry extra pressure and load to keep the overweight rider comfortable during the entire ride.
- It has double coil springs to absorb severe shocks while handling extra load and pressure.
- The front loop spring helps in balancing the front pressure on bumpy areas.
- The seat is large enough for big bottoms.
- The tubular rivets are steel-made.
- It gives a 2-year product guarantee and a 10-year warranty if the product is registered on their site.
- The seat is not waterproof. Not waterproof like other Brooks leather saddles.
- It is heavy at almost 2 kg.
- It requires regular maintenance, especially adding a leather conditioner.
The Sunlite Cloud-9 is one of the most popular choices among overweight riders. Even though the seat is relatively expensive, it still receives countless compliments from its customers because of its excellent quality.
One of its top features is its dual-density gel foam. This material is the best for seat padding because it is durable, supportive, and very soft. Aside from its gel foam padding, it has a great suspension system and acceptable seat cover material. The seat design is also breathable.
- The seat has easy installation.
- The seat padding provides the ultimate comfort for overweight riders.
- It is also suitable for those suffering from sciatic nerve pain.
- The seat’s design is not very ergonomic.
If you are tired of cycling due to discomfort but don’t want to spend so much, then the budget-friendly Zacro Oversized Bike Seat may be what you are looking for. This seat is an excellent budget option for overweight riders. It features a breathable design, abrasion resistance, and microfiber eco-leather material.
The padding is also made of gel foam, making it soft and comfortable during long rides. It also has a thick shockproof ball and a damping cushion, which gives additional comfort. The seat is wide enough to accommodate bigger bottoms.
- It has a thick gel seat cover that absorbs some of the most severe and painful shocks.
- It is available in many fancy colors.
- The seat package comes with a dust and water-resistant seat cover.
- Its non-slip bottom and drawstring fastening system stick to the seat during aggressive movements.
- The effective drawstring fastening system and non-slip bottom will stick to the saddle when there is aggressive movement.
- It gives maximum comfort at a lower price.
- It has easy installation.
- The seat cover only caters to wide seats and doesn’t feat narrow seats.
- The seat may still be hard because the padding isn’t thick enough.
Guide to Buying the Most Comfortable Bike Seats for Overweight Riders
How do you know which one is the best for you with these ten bike seat options to choose from? Well, we came up with this buying guide with the factors you need to consider before making your purchase.
One of the most critical considerations in choosing a bike seat is the padding or cushioning. It is a vital part of the bike seat, especially for big bottoms and overweight riders. The heavier the rider is, the more pressure the butt needs to handle during rides.
Thus, it would be best to have a supportive saddle and cushion to reduce the pressure and soreness during long rides. Among the various cushions, we found the bike seat with gel-filled cushions the best choice for overweight and senior riders. It enhances performance on protecting the butt, and it is durable and stable enough for senior riders.
Aside from gel-filled cushions, there are still a lot of padding materials you can choose from. Our advice is not to choose very soft seat materials because they are not as comfortable and durable as the harder ones. If you get the chance to go to shops, use your fingers to feel the seat padding first before making a purchase.
The proper saddle width is the next essential consideration before purchasing a bike seat. Keep in mind that the saddle width depends on the seat bone. Typically, women riders have wider bottoms than men. Men’s seat bones are much closer together, making saddles for women are quite broader than men’s.
The next thing to consider is the seat cover. The bike seat materials have many options to choose from, and among these materials, leather is the most long-lasting, durable, and comfortable. If you are looking for authentic leather, it may be more expensive. This type of bike seat is usually handmade, and you must also consider spending money and time on its maintenance to keep it in excellent condition.
On the other hand, synthetic leather is an excellent alternative because it’s more affordable and doesn’t need much attention and maintenance. It can also provide the same amount of comfort, but the surface may get slippery. If you don’t want this, you can get a seat with a textured surface to avoid slipping.
We highly recommend getting a waterproof material if you ride in wet conditions. Materials such as leather and vinyl are great options. Try to avoid bike seats with fabric covers.
A coil suspension system is a significant feature for a bike seat designed for overweight riders. It primarily eliminates shocks in bumpy roads or challenging terrains. Invest in a high-quality coil suspension system to avoid lower back pains and sore joints that you can get from riding on such rough surfaces.
Keep in mind that this feature isn’t vital for everyone because it comes at an extra cost. But for overweight riders, a coil suspension system creates a bounce between the bike seat and the frame, preventing damage to the frame due to the excess load and pressure attributed to the rider’s weight.
Women riders can choose bike seats with no groove or recession because they don’t need much space and airflow while riding. However, for men riders, a recession is significant. It minimizes the rubbing between the bike seat and the sensitive areas. It also provides better ventilation which makes the rider more comfortable.
Typically, amateur riders ignore this recession feature because they think it won’t affect the training. But for professional and senior riders, a recession is one of the top priorities. Whether you are a male or a female rider, long rides create pressure and apply it to the anatomy, resulting in soreness and pain.
Even though overweight riders don’t spend the same time riding as professional riders, they still need to handle the same amount of pressure. Thus, the bike seat must have suitable technical features to do the job.
The last thing to consider is mounting. Typically, you want a bike seat that is easy to mount. Luckily, many top brands already include a universal adapter and mounting tools to allow riders to install their bike seats to different bike types, whether it is an outdoor or indoor model. Also, if you have no experience with bike installation, look for a bike seat that is easy to mount and remove.
FAQ about Bike Seats
Take a look at some of the FAQs in buying bike seats:
Do I really need a special bike seat if I am overweight?
Yes. If you are an overweight rider, using the wrong bike seat can result in pain, numbness, and soreness, negatively affecting your physical well-being.
How Do I Choose A Bike Seat?
There are several factors that you need to consider. But, we highly recommend prioritizing comfort. The bike seat must be shockproof and must have the correct width and ample padding. You may look for a bike seat made with high-density memory foam for maximum comfort. This material is usually found on mattresses and is the best choice for overweight riders.
How Wide Should My Bike Saddle Be?
Generally, the wider the bike seat is, the more comfortable the ride. But, it shouldn’t be too wide. The best approach is adding 2 cm to the rider’s seat bones’ spacing. With this, it protects the rider from sitting on the edges of the bike’s metal frame.
Choosing the right bike saddle can make the whole cycling experience more fulfilling for overweight riders. Many brands are flooding the market, so finding the bike seat that works best for you is necessary.
We discovered that Bikeroo Oversized Comfort Bike Seat is the most comfortable bike seat for overweight riders. It features high-quality foam padding and is also designed with excellent ventilation to keep you cool when riding. This ensures in keeping you pain-free and comfortable when riding longer distances.
Need some help? Talk to our experts and learn more about how you can make the most out of your bike rides. We’ll help you achieve a good cycling experience regardless of weight.